Sunday, July 10, 2016

Appalachian trail

Hello from Mills River, NC where I'm taking a brief detour on my way back to the West Coast. I spent 10 days in Florida and never saw the ocean. Now I'm in peach country, wishing I had more time for the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Asheville is charming, filled with good food and architecture and happy people. 
You could even say good vibes.
There's a trail of public art, punctuated by interesting shops and snacks. 
This iron outside the flat iron building on Wall Street amused me. 
In between ice cream and fried chicken and grits, I bought a boatload of gifts and a Woodrow for me. This is a Woodrow. 
Now I just have to learn to play it. 
The store was in this airy mall. I was drawn in by the grandfather clock, and by the sound of a woman playing music. 
Everything old is new again. Old-fashioned crafts are back, like this pot holder/washcloth. 
Tomorrow it's off to the mountains for a quick hike and some barbecue. But for now I'll leave you with the view of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Jump-off Rock last night. 
Not too shabby. 










No comments:

Post a Comment