Sunday, July 1, 2018

the north shore


A fajas with Terceira on the horizon.
You turn down the lane (a canada) to a faja. The road goes from paved to clay and gets progressively steeper. I worry if the car I borrowed from Felipe is really rugged enough to get down this. Or up it. At the bottom, I head back immediately, afraid of being trapped before I have to leave for the airport in a few hours.

Sao Jorge has steep slopes, with the bays of the island separated by a tall ridge, which was completely foggy when I drove through it.

 At the bottom are the towns: fajas. This one has a swimming pool too.

Or you can just dive in.
 It's pretty rugged. I'm glad I don't live somewhere so remote. But even the farther spot on the island is less than an hour's drive to the airport.

I had fish for lunch, and a half bottle of Casal Garcia. Refrescante vinho verde!
 In my last hours on Sao Jorge, I discover the coast north of Urzulina. This is a collapse crater.
While most of Sao Jorge is quite old, with many fajas and town established in the 19th century and earlier, Velas decided it needed a municipal auditorium with a modern look. That's the library to the left of the sailboat.
A soccer match was playing when the sun came out.
 As I flew back to San Miguel, I looked out the window and saw my cottage!
Even better, there was a rainbow.
So now I'm back in Ponta Delgada, the land of beautiful churches. There are so many more people here than on Faial or Pico or Sao Jorge. Though I went to dinner, and had my first piripiri, and ran smack into Antonio and Lino, who had recommended it to me.
The church was all lit up tonight. I headed out for a free concert (at 10 pm on a Sunday). For some reason I thought it would be organ music, but instead it was 70s and 80s rock and rock.
 Whoever she was, she has undenial charisma. She reminded me of Tina Turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment