Sunday, June 30, 2019

the highlands road

You may take the high road, but I'll take the low speed road. Pictured is a Scottish highway.
Okay, I'm exaggerating. A little. Many of the roads on my journey are slightly wider than one lane. But they're two way, leading to a game of chicken. Driven from the wrong side, with a stick shift. 

A family I met had to choose between a ditch and a bus headed for them, across the center line. They chose the ditch.
We explored a few small towns in the Black Isle; as Lilly explained, "isle" usually doesn't mean island. In this case, it means peninsula.
 A brief stop in Fortrose at the ruins of a cathedral, where the last of the MacKenzie's clan is interred.

(Isn't that an I Love Lucy episode?)


Undeniably good bones. Then Lilly set off for home, and I headed west toward the Isle of Skye, which is actually an island.


I was so thrilled to get out of the car and find a perfect viewpoint. As I got out of the car, I heard a horrible buzzing: a bunch of German tourists with a drone. I took a few pictures, glared at them, and drove on.
 Castle for scale
Here's the brooding Scotland I was promised in Skyfall and Braveheart! None of this sunshine nonsense.
Finally. At long last, Skye.

No comments:

Post a Comment