Monday, July 1, 2019

blind summit


Today I reached my breaking point. One single track road too many, that took 3 times as long as Google Maps said it would. One more scenic byway I couldn't enjoy because I was worried about oncoming traffic, and a herd of stampeding sheep, and feral goats, and why the car interface to my iPhone is always so terrible.
I gave up my plan to take the only revolving car ferry in the world! in favor of a more direct route. Plus it was drizzly.

And I abandoned the fairy pools, after paying 5 POUNDS to park to an attendant wearing a beekeeper's helmet to protect her against midges.
Thanks to Timm, I'd brought bug repellant. But I packed cowboy boots for the dude ranch instead of hiking boots, and never found my hiking stick. I was not going to cross this fast rushing stream on my own today. Enough!



I need a vacation! So I headed for the mainland and found this much more manageable creek, with a bridge across it. And the sun came out.


See how happy I am to be returning to civilization? I'm a city girl. From California!

I made it through Fort William, past Glencoe, and arrived at the lodge in Kinlochleven, where I'm staying in part because I spent a memorable New Year's at Kinloch Lodge in New Zealand 8 years ago. Also because the room had a bathtub, though not a very big one.
 I thought I'd walk to dinner until the rain started again. There was a sure cure:
Scotland has exceptional seafood. How can it not? It's all coastline. No wonder 96 miles take 3 hours to drive.
And driving back, all was well with the world. Or maybe it was the cherry cake.
I'm watching a BBC show on sheep herding. Maybe I'll squeeze in a walk tomorrow, on the shores of Loch Lomond. Thanks to the rain, there are lots of impromptu waterfalls. Or maybe I'll head straight for the city....

1 comment:

  1. Drink Scotch. Wven if you don't like it normally. Its made for weather like that. And too bad about missing the rotating ferry
    ..its really cool...I was about to suggest it. But will agree the road there is a little frustrating..of course my driver grew up driving on the wrong side of the road and we actually had sunshine the day qe drove to that ferry....so we had a clear advantage....

    ReplyDelete