Sunday, July 7, 2019

millennial



Last day of my trip: we began with a Sunday roast at the Marksman, a well-regarded gastropub in Shoreditch.



We loved the lamb's tongue with green beans, fresh goat's cheese with peas, white fish, and an exemplary Hereford roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, brown butter and honey tart.




Is it heresy that the best thing was the potatoes? (not my photo)

Friendly service, excellent food, reasonable prices (3 courses for 30 pounds). Oh, and unexpectedly a bargain babka we'll return to later.
We hopped on a bus to St Paul's so I could walk over the no-longer swaying Millennium Bridge. The sun came out.

Great views in every direction.


From the other side, by the ever expanding Tate Modern museum.
The financial district skyscrapers, including the walkie-talking building to the right, where we went to the Sky Garden yesterday.

I went to Flat Iron Square to watch the women's world cup. (We won!)
Like a lot of these popup container developments, Flat Iron Square is under the train tracks and next to this gorgeous building, a former chocolate factory.

So many gorgeous buildings close to Borough Market.
Still not hungry after a huge roast, we stopped in at Bao. I loved the food, though it was a little pricey for what it is. And they don't win any awards for Instagrammabiliy.
 This is smoked eggplant served with panko battered bread.
Marinated maitake mushrooms were a hit. Taiwanese fried chicken was tasty.

So many gorgeous buildings on Bermondsey Road. It's hard to believe this is the same city I came to years ago.
The last meal was babka, procured from The Marksman this morning for only 5 pounds. In San Francisco, it would cost at least twice that. I packed some, for the journey home.

All good things must come to an end. And that includes this trip. I'm excited to sleep in my own bed, and know where I am when I wake up in the middle of the night. I don't know where I'm headed next. The fun is in figuring that out. Come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment