Tuesday, July 2, 2019

lox & lochs

A loch is just a lake. 
But these are the bonnie bonnie shores of Loch Lomond.
Complete with hydropower. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Breakfast at Kinlochleven was served at 8:30, and by 9:30 everyone else had left. (Scottish checkout time in 10 am. On your way now...) In theory, it was only 2-1/4 hours' drive to Glasgow, but I knew it could very well be 3 or 4 hours. 

My first stop was a Scottish National Trust center in Glen Coe, where I learned of the terrible massacre that occurred in this tranquil area 350 years ago.

I also learned about the conservation efforts made by climbers and hikers in the 20th century to protect this region from development.

There was a wee walk, so I went on it and found this adorable amphitheater. 

Then I headed south into what is easily the most beautiful part of Scotland. Glen Coe is everything I imagined Scotland to be and more. Vast glacier-carved valleys and waterfalls and mossy plains.

Unfortunately it was also filled with tour buses and tailgaters. So much traffic that many of the turnouts were full.

So instead of taking a peaceful stroll, I drove on, exploring the Scottish scenic route.
At Loch Lomond, I encountered this architectural award winner.

What is it? It looked like a hikers' church or a rain shelter. But the entrance hid its purpose.

It's a viewing pavilion, with seating for 20. The sun came out as we watched the ripples on the loch.
 

A few hours later, I made it to the city! Out of that damned car. Parked till I need to leave for the airport. But not before Google Maps sent me on a scavenger hunt through the busy streets of Glasgow, including a few that were closed. I'm so excited to be on foot again.

Happily, there was parking right in front. And my room is easily the best so far on this trip.

Here's the view.

You've got to like a town with a slogan and a strong sense of identity. People make Glasgow is everywhere. It's bright and friendly and almost cosmopolitan, quite a transformation from its rough reputation a million years ago in the 80s.


 It's a gorgeous town, isn't it?

I did promise you some lox. Scottish salmon is among the tastiest in the world.

But this was the best snack I had today. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment